Thursday, May 4, 2017

The Letter to the Prosecutor that Finally Did the Job

May 3, 2017

To County of Maui Prosecutor John Kim 

Six months after the vicious, unprovoked assault that landed me in the hospital for two weeks there still have been no charges filed against the known assailant Michael Best. In fact, there has not even been a proper investigation. No one from your office or the police department has visited the crime scene, looked at the evidence, let me walk them through the crime, or talked to the third-party witness. Moreover, there has been no enforcement of the court's injunction against harassment (several instances of which I have on video) and I have to endure harassment and death threats every day. 

It seems you never intended to pursue the case, and I want to know why. Is it a racial thing? A prejudice against low-income people? Or age discrimination? Your office violates my crime victim's rights every day by not protecting me, not informing me about the progress (or lack thereof) in the case, and not enforcing the injunction.

Some years ago when I was falsely accused of violating a TRO (a trivial offense compared to the vicious assault on me) there was no six months of investigating or pretense of investigating. I was immediately arrested and spent 30 days in jail before being fully exonerated. But I didn't get justice as the con artist thief, whose perjured TRO petition and false reporting to the police caused my arrest, was never prosecuted for her serious crimes.

I am fed up with this insane crap and I demand equal justice under the law. The county is systematically, deliberately and maliciously denying me the normal services and protections generally afforded to residents. I demand to know why. I believe I could sue the county for this denial of services. 

I have enclosed a copy of an article about the Taliah Nelson case. There is no doubt that Michael Best is capable of this type of crime. I have to constantly be on guard and watch my back. You are on notice that if this were to happen to me, my survivors -- three siblings -- would sue this county into bankruptcy. There is simply no excuse for your malicious indifference to the danger. 

(signed)  Kurt Butler

(In the case referred to Nelson, a resident in a group home for the mentally ill, stabbed to death another resident.) 

Note: The day after I hand-delivered this letter to the prosecutor's office Best was finally arrested and charged for assaulting me. We will soon see how vigorously and competently he pursues the case. 






No comments:

Post a Comment